Philippians 3:12-14 (The Message Bible)

I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back.

Monday, January 26, 2009

A little stew'll do

This is one of my all time "easy" recipes. I ALWAYS have the ingredients on hand and everyone always enjoys it (except Brooklyn who HATES when I make this because of all the veggies in it). I don't know the specific nutritional information on this...but I'm thinking it has to be pretty healthy. It's almost 100% veggies.
Thanks to Matt's grandma for giving me this recipe (and bringing us a hot pot of it) on the night we moved into our first home together!

Block Party Stew
(give or take any of these ingredients according to your liking or to whatever you have on hand that day)

ground meat
carrots
corn
peas
green beans
beans (pork-n-beans, chili beans, kidney beans, black beans--whatever)
tomatoes, diced
potatoes, diced
celery
onions
tomato paste
tomato sauce
chicken or beef stock
salt & pepper
Brown meat (I use turkey) and season with salt, pepper and whatever else you want. I use garlic salt and some cumin . Throw in onions so they can soften up while meat is cookng--celery too if you're using it.
Then add in all remaining ingredients and heat to a boil. Simmer until potatoes and carrots are soft. (tonight I substituted vegtable juice for the tomato sauce and paste--and it's just as good) Serve with cornbread or crackers.
I like to put this on around noon and let it simmer all afternoon until Matt gets home from work.

3 comments:

KC said...

YUUUUMMMEEEEEE!!! That looks De-Lish! What a great recipe. Thanks for sharing Jen! Perfect food for these cold, wet days.

Master Le said...

you making me so hungry :( keep up the good work :D

Stewbphoto said...

Is that Pampered Chef?? My wife bought it but I'm the one that uses it!!!! Awesome Recipe!!! I'v lost a total of 40 lbs now!!! My wife will be shocked to see me when she gets home from Iraq in a few weeks!!!