Philippians 3:12-14 (The Message Bible)

I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back.

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Day 17

Oh my...what a day (or night!) it was! The kids were out of school again so after my normal oatmeal breakfast, we did some more playing outside in the ice.
Then it was time to come in and warm up. They watched a movie while I did Core Syn. It's really my day for Yoga but I despise Yoga--and especially when there are 2 little distrations running around my feet hollering "mom" every 5 seconds. (well, really 4 if you count the 2 dogs who think that me doing downward dog is an invitation for them to play!) Anyway, I decided to sub Core for it instead and WOW! I forgot what a hardcore work out that is! I loved it and hated it. Those plank to chatarunga runs got the best of me. I wanted SO BADLY to go down into chatarunga, but everytime I attempted it, I nearly took a bite of the carpet. I just didn't have the strength to hold myself up and run too. Oh well-so I ended up doing the whole minute in a plank run. After a quick shower, it was time for my appointment at the CPA to get my taxes done. I realized as I was running out the door that I had forgotten to eat! I grabbed the fastest thing I could find, which was a light Oscar Meyer hotdog (90 cal), a sugar free whole wheat bun (110 cal) and an apple. The tax appointment went well and we are getting back a significant refund which is great news, as this is our year to get out of debt!! I can't WAIT to get that check and pay off all our credit cards and Matt's truck! yippee!!
Okay--so here's where the day went from ordinary to WOWEE! I asked my mom if she'd mind letting the kids come over for a few hours. She agreed, so I decided to make a romantic dinner for my hubby. When I got home from the store, he was already home and doing his work out so I started cooking. It was just simple turkey spaghetti with salad and whole wheat french bread, but I made us some "specialty drinks" and I put all the red candles I could find on our table. I put on my favorite "sexy music" mix cd and turned off all the lights. Then I changed into a dress that I've only worn once because it's too revealing to wear in public (imo) and put on my spikey heels. I had also rented the movie Fireproof for us to watch. Everything was perfect.
And boy was he surprised when he got out of the shower and came in the room for dinner! He had NO IDEA anything was going on so it was quite a shock. (a much needed shock--we'd had some strained conversations lately and I knew it was time for something out of the ordinary). We ended up having our dinner which was fabulous, enjoying our drinks (best margarita recipe on EARTH) and getting out the karaoke machine instead of watching the movie! I did my best to not giggle while I sang a few songs and threw in some of my Zumba moves for him. Then he got up and sang Justin Timberlakes "Sexy Back" for me and did a few of his own dance moves. I don't know if I was supposed to be laughing, but it was very cute and quite comical. We had so much fun and laughed more than we have in a looooong time. I know God was smiling down on us. Its a magical thing when a couple can be so in love after 11 years of marriage, still get butterflies in their stomachs for each other occasionally and laugh like junior highers ALL while still honoring God with their lives. Yes, it may seem strange to pray over dinner while holding a maragarita in one hand---but you know what? I think God wishes more married couples would do stuff like this! I used to have such a hang up about drinking and not being able to mix "Godliness" with "UnGodliness". I mean, it says that right in the Bible--"what communion hath light with darkness"...but I really think I am beginning to see there is a difference in what we did last night...and going out to a bar and fitting right in with the crowd. Maybe I'm just "preaching" to myself right now...? but I am just so excited to have had this breakthrough.
Anyhow, I sooooooo did not mean to get off on that whole subject in this blog...but hey---my fingers go wherever my mind takes them--and you guys end up having to read it! hee hee hee


Here's a pic of our table...all set....just waiting on Matt to get out of the shower and come see!He insisted on taking one of me when he got in there. I didn't even get a chance to really fix my hair (I let it air dry after my quick shower while I was at the CPA) so I don't LOVE it...but oh well...I guess I don't hate it too much or I wouldn't have put it on here for ya'll to see, huh? ha ha
(hey, at least I'm honest! :o)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

OH.MY.GOSH. We would get along really well!

Kudos to you for putting so much effort in your marriage..clearly it is paying off! And I know if I did that, me and my hub would be doing the kareoke too instead of the movie, haha! (I did hear that movie was good, let me know when you get around to watching!). I'm all about getting dolled for my hubby and suprising him. Nice dress btw-you look great in it!!

Kate said...

I never know how to comment on these posts. I'm not one for posting too much marriage stuff on my blog. T and I just have an understanding when it comes to that kind of stuff on my blog. But I will say you look adorable :) Glad you had a great night together! That dinner sounds really good~

KC said...

You look so cute! Love the dress, and the heels. Super cute!
Sounds like y'all had a great evening together. Way to go Jen!

Faith | Family | Fitness said...

What a testimony for marriage! You get out of it what you put in to it and with the Lord right in the middle, you can't go wrong! I'm going to pass on your wonderful ideas to my girlfriends and I'm sure their husbands will be thanking you for it!

Cheers to loving our hubbies!

Tammy said...

You should always be working at your marriage - and you definitely put in some effort that night! Good for you!!

And I'm sure he LOVED every minute of it. Too many wives complain that their husbands are romantic enough. What's wrong with the woman initiating some romance every now and then?! My hubby loves when I do stuff like that .. and we've been together 16 years.

Amen to keeping it together. The home fires were definitely burning in that dress!!!!

And I think it's perfectly okay to have a drink now and then. You said it best - you're not hanging out at the bar and you're not getting drunk. There's a BIG difference. A fun drink every now and then is a nice reward and a GREAT way to unwind!!