Philippians 3:12-14 (The Message Bible)

I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Day 88

So...unintentionally, I skipped a few days. I don't know if I am EVER gonna get this 90 days done! ha ha
I didn't get in any kind of work out on Sunday...but with church that morning and then the ice cream social that night, I just couldn't seem to fit it in. Then on Monday I spent literally ALL day cleaning house, washing laundry, the sheets on all the beds....by the time I was done with dinner dishes, I was just ready to sit down finally.
Today I almost missed my work out again...but I MADE myself do it before I cooked dinner so I could get it out of the way. I did Cardio X. I pushed hard and my HRM was beeping at me that my HR was too high...but still, I only burned 217 calories!! UGH!
Anyway, after dinner (turkey spagetti with whole wheat noodles and light ceasar salad pizza - YUM!) I hopped in the shower and then Mom and I made a quick run into town. We split up and she went to Bed, Bath & Beyond while I went in Old Navy and tried to stock up on some jeans/winter clothes for the kids while they are having their "Stuff and Save" sale (20% off). I ended up getting Brooklyn 2 pairs of jeans, 1 pair of yoga pants and a shirt, Grant 2 long-sleeved polo shirts and Matt 2 t-shirts all for $60. Not too shabby! I was bummed that I didn't get anything for ME...but buying clothes for myself right now is EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING! I am too small for a size 8 (which is what everything I own is) but yet a size 6 doesn't seem to fit right either. I think its my thighs actually. They are big. Solid muscle...but big. Most of the pants I try on fit me fine in the waist and the butt but then they get skin tight on my thighs. Ugh! I don't know what to do about that. Do I work my legs MORE and try to lean up? Or do I work them less and try to de-bulk?
If anyone has a suggestion for me on this, I would GREATLY appreciate it. As it stands right now, I really don't have a single pair of pants that I feel like fit me well. My 8's are all quite baggy in the bum...
(oh what a wonderful problem to have though!!!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen,

So close to the end, I know your excited. Me too!

Last year I went to a Gym and had a personal trainer help me with weights and such, seems she always worked my legs a lot. By the time the year was up (end 2007) I wasn't really happy with my thighs, they seemed to be so big, muscles yes. But I discovered that this was not what I wanted, some people do though. My thighs were always the tightest part of my pants, I hated it.

I prefer strong yet still slim legs. So when I started Tony's P90X I knew better. I wanted to lose fat more than gain muscle. I do want muscle as well, just mostly on the inside with a thinner yet defined appearance. So with that being said I did the Lean version and used very light and most of the time no weights on the leg exercises and more reps. If you notice in the DVD that one girl, I forget her name (the aspiring Dentist), but when doing her legs she didn't use weights a lot, I just assumed it was for that reason, but I don't know that for sure. Anyways, since then my thighs have slimmed up more than they were by doing A LOT of cardio and using low to no weights and more reps.

If your into the muscle portion of the program than by all means repeat the Classic version again yet leave the weights off your legs and maybe pick up doing doubles of cardio. OR try the lean version, with a lot of cardio and still lay low on weights on your leg day with more reps.

Just a thought...

KC said...

Hey Jen,
My legs/upper thighs get muscular/big very easily and quickly also. I like the muscular look, but it's not fun when trying to buy pants that actually fit.
What I've been doing, is running at an incline to really work my thighs and butt. But then I skip the "heavy weight" training on my lower body. I focus the heavy weight training on my upper body. This also gives me an "illusion" of a slimmer lower body, because my upper body is muscular and the v-taper in the back makes the waist look smaller (yeah!!! i need all the help I can get there, with my straight rectangular frame).
But I've found if I lift really heavy weights with my legs, my thighs get big, and the thighs of my jeans get to tight. So instead, I only work legs with weights once a week, and I use lighter weights with more reps. (Like 90 lbs on Leg Press, but do 2 sets of 25, and then one to exhaustion..and Leg Extensions, and Leg Curls at 50lbs for 2 sets of 15 and the last one to failure. Then I also run 3-5 days a week, and do yoga...so overall my legs are still getting a good workout, without working them weight weights 3 days a week. This has helped to lean out my lower body, while maintaining muscle definition, without getting super huge. Even with doing this, my thighs stay at about 20-21 inches.

Oh! and My hubby loves the fact that I'm getting a round/muscular booty, from running so much more, so that helps a lot with motivation to! :)