Philippians 3:12-14 (The Message Bible)

I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Stickin it out...

Man, I feel awful today. I got a flu shot and a tetanus shot yesterday and I don't know if that is what is making me feel so crummy or what but I just feel miserable. I expected the aching and soreness in my shoulders (at the shot site's) but I feel like I suddenly have a head cold and my neck hurts and I feel drowsy and dizzy and just BLAH. On top of that, I have a cough deep in my chest that makes it hard for me to get a good full breath.
Despite how I felt, I pushed through and went to the gym today for my weight lifting class and my cardio class. I actually did fairly well throughout the classes considering my lack of energy but now that I'm done and I've showered, I feel completely exhausted. I want to do NOTHING. I know I'm not feeling great when I don't even want to do something fun! I just want to lay on the couch and not move.
So I'm wondering, is it bad or wrong to go workout so vigorously and intensly when your body is not in tip-top shape? Am I compromising my healing/wellness by pushing myself so hard? I don't know. I do know that even when I am sick and I work out..I'm still SO GLAD I did it and I usually feel better afterwards--if nothing else at least mentally because I know I got my work out in.
This is just a side note...but one of my friends from the gym ran a marathon Saturday. She's in great shape and is a "runner" by nature but during this particular marathon, a fellow runner collapsed mid way and died!!! It turned out to be a 21 year old guy who'd been training for this marathon for a full year and was about to enter the Navy. No one is quite sure exactly what happened just yet, except it is assumed that he must have had a heart attack. Renee, my friend, said she saw him laying on the ground and his legs were jerking but she didn't know what was going on so she just kept running. She came to find out later that he had died. What a tradgedy. What a freak incident. I mean, who expects a young, in shape guy to just keel over mid-marathon? Crazy.
Anyhow, I can't decide what to do with myself for the rest of the day. As I said, I don't WANT to do anything---but my house is in dire need of some cleaning--at the very least the dishes and laundry need to get done. Why is it so hard for me to relax and just rest? I feel guilty and I can't shake the notion that I'm "wasting time". grrr.....
Guess I'll go fold the laundry and then "allow" myself to rest for 15 minutes or so. If I feel better, I'll get up and do more. If I don't---I'll try to make myself stay on the couch for a while longer. We'll see....

3 comments:

Kate said...

get some rest sweetie. given that they did inject you with the flu virus, I'm sure you're jsut feeling under the weather from that. Yes, it's still good to get some light exercise when your sick, but right now all your body wants to do is use the energy it has to fight off whatever's going on inside.

Hate to say it, but most marathons have a number of serious accidents which often include deaths. There's sually at least one at the Chicago marathon each year (fortunately none this year). The guy who die slast year had a genetic heart defect that neither he nor anyone in his family knew about. The problem w/ marathons is if your a 1st timer, you don't actually run the full 26 miles until that day. Usually training will cap out at 15-20 miles two weeks before the marathon, so you're not really put to the test (entriely) until the day of. It's a lot of strain on the heart to be pumping all that blood so rapidly for 3-4 hours. Heat is also one of the other reasons marathoners die. Most marathons are held in early Spring or late Fall to avoid the heat . . . . and even with all those precautions many people still die. Scary huh? Which is one of the reasons I didn't pursue it this year - last year's Chicago Marathon was such a disaster w/ the heat, lack of water, injuries, and death that it scared me away . . .too much risk just to be able to say "I ran a marathon."

KC said...

Rest up Jen...your body needs rest, in order to fully recover. If you push yourself to hard, you'll just lower your immune system, and then risk getting even sicker. So take care of yourself, the house will still be there to be cleaned, tomorrow or the next day. :)

Kate said...

oh btw . . . . cute new page layout!