Philippians 3:12-14 (The Message Bible)

I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back.

Thursday, November 13, 2008

A first for me...

So today I went to the gym as usual and did my hour of "Pump" (weight lifting) and then did my Zumba (latin-dancing) class. But about 15 minutes before the Zumba class was over, I decided to walk out on it and go hop on the treadmill. The teacher of the class was OBVIOUSLY somewhere else mentally and she was totally messing up the whole class--missing steps and lacking any kind of attitude or zest for the class. It was really wearing on my energy...so I skipped out early. (even though I did do a solid 45 minutes of it).
Anyway, I got on the treadmill next to an accquaintance and we started chatting about Biggest Loser. As you all know, I can get really into talking about that show...AND...I just get really into talking. Period. When I talk and drive, I almost ALWAYS end up somewhere other than where I was going. I can't talk and do much of anything else--which is probably one reason I HATE talking on the phone. HATE!!! IT!!!!
If I talk while cooking, I ruin the food. If I talk while scrapbooking, I get NOTHING done. If someone tries to talk to me while I'm working out, I will either ignore you or whack at you and say SHUT UP!! because I am concentrating. So today when I got on the treadmill and started jogging and talking about Biggest Loser I was SHOCKED when I looked down and saw that I had been running for 25 minutes and had gone over 2 miles!!!!! That is a first for me. I (usually) hate running and especially hate running on treadmills. (which is why I got rid of my treadmill and got an ellipital machine instead)....but today....was a whole nother story. I LOVED IT! Even after that 25 minutes, I felt nothing. I wasn't tired, my legs didn't hurt, I wasn't breathing hard...it just felt comfortable--right---good~! I REALLLLLY wanted to keep going but I had to call it quits and get home so I could get Grant to school on time. Anyway, that was such a cool surprise--so I hope maybe next time I'm there, I can try that again! If that is what running is like for you girls who do it all the time...no wonder you love it! Apparently talking while running was the perfect distraction!! (although I will say when I upped my speed to 6.2, I was NOT talking anymore). :o)

3 comments:

Kate said...

Good for you! 6.2 is about a 10-minute mile- that's awesome! I will admit that running on the treadmill is not my first choice - I love hitting the trails outdoors, but now that it's gettin' to be winter, its' what I gotta do to keep the momentum going. Sure I can still get outside, but I have to have the right (which translates to "expensive") running gear and it can't be icy out. Plus, my breathing gets really strained in the cold air anways. Anywho . . good for you; you are definitely staying on target. I had an off day today, but will be back on the horse tomorrow. Two weeks baby - yeah!

Unknown said...

ProForm is the largest seller of Treadmills in the world. They focus on budget models and sell through mass merchants, large sporting good chains and the home shopping networks. ProForm is owned by Icon Fitness.

KC said...

Congratulations Jen!!! That's great! Now you know why I love to run... :) Keep up the great workouts. Only a week and half until Thanksgiving. Yikes! :)