Philippians 3:12-14 (The Message Bible)

I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

TICKED OFF

So, I've learned something about myself recently. When I'm in a "mood" there comes a point during my workout where the whole mind-battle thing really just starts to TICK me OFF!
Like today for instance: I left the house feeling pumped up and ready for my classes at the gym. Since it was cold outside, I wore gym pants and a sweatshirt to the gym and then changed after I got there. I made the mistake of grabbing a pair of gym shorts that I haven't in worn in a long time (8 pounds ago!). When I changed I realized that they were TOOOOO small! Not real obvious--but uncomfortable and they made me have this major innertube around my middle. No matter how skinny you get---if you put on something elastic-waisted a size or two too small...you're gonna get that bubble. Okay...maybe if you're SUPER DOOPER skinny, you wouldn't...but that's something I'll never know. ;o)
ANYWAY....I was really having a insecure, lousy time watching myself in the mirror. Feeling very self-concious, uncoordinated and just plain YUK. Then, all of a sudden the sadness faded and fury replaced it. I was MAD. Mad at cake. Mad at cookies. Mad at chips and queso. and most of all MAD that I was allowing myself to "cave" to these stupid thoughts that were threatening to overtake me. I actually shouted out (in the middle of doing burpees) I HATE DESSERT!!!!! ha ha ha ha I just needed to get that off my chest.
But by getting ANGRY...I actually felt WAY better.
Now I am at the end of this post and I can't remember my point. I guess all I was trying to say is that when you feel like your energy-meter is about to hit empty...get mad. Get mad that the food industry is trying to practically KILL us with all the JUNK they create. Get mad that you allowed yourself to get out of shape. Get mad that you ate that slice of pie last night. Whatever it is...get mad at it. It's great fuel for your fitness flame!!

4 comments:

Lori Allberry said...

I looooove that Jen, I looove that idea! You know what else? You could not be more right about elastic. A person would think that because it's elastic, the size wouldn't matter that much, but that is not true - a size or two too small, you feel as blobby as all get out!

Thanks for sharing your experience with us - it has inspired me - especially on this day - my yoga workout day! =)

♥Lori

Rene' said...

I agree, sometimes when we are "mad" we kick it in gear and kick butt. I actually try to make myself "all mad and tough" when we do punches, because I get better form and concentrate more, instead of just throwing my arms out there :) see ya later
and ps-no one but u noticed the "bulge"! I didn't see a bulge! You always look great, and remember you are so beautiful on the inside, that it even overshadows your incredible beauty on the outside! You got it both ways you lucky dog! :)

katie said...

Sounds like a huge release!

Katie

Alissa said...

I hate the fake muffin top! I love working out when I'm angry too... especially Kenpo X! It definitely helps me to release my aggression!