Philippians 3:12-14 (The Message Bible)

I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back.

Thursday, January 7, 2010

The good, the bad and the ugly

The good: I did Insanity Plyometric Circuit, P90X Chest & Back and Ab Ripper today.
The bad: I ate a large piece of homemade strawberry shortcake after dinner.
The ugly: I've gained a pound!

So, I have to start there with that last statement. When I started this whole "thing" on Monday, I weighed in at 135. No surprise...that's been my weight for a few weeks now (up a pound from my 134 that I've been at forEVER). Anyway, I know better than to weigh too often, especially just 3 days after starting a healthier eating plan...but...I felt SO light yesterday that I thought I'd just step on and see if I'd made any progress. So you can just imagine how "excited" I was when 136 popped up. Thankfully, though, I have resolved not to let those numbers get me down--AND--I know for a FACT that it takes more than 3 days of clean eating for it to start showing up on the scale. The true test will be in about 10 days from now, when my "good deposits" have had time to "clear the bank" and show up in my "account".
If you're reading this and thinking why is she putting every other word in parenthesis and talking in bank-talk?...well, then you'll have to go back and read the post I did a while back on debits and credits. Lucky for you...all you have to do is click HERE to read it.
I just want to encourage you #1)Don't weigh too often. It's too easy to get discouraged. Once a week is plenty. And #2) Give this at LEAST a month before you decide whether or not it's working.

Okay..now about the strawberry shortcake. One thing is true-if there are sweets in my house, I'm gonna eat'em. Period. I actually have a MUCH easier time resisting dessert when I'm in a public place (people are watching!) but at home, it's like a glaze comes over my eyes and my brain and go into this I-don't-care-I-just-WANT-that mode. The perfect solution is to just not have them around...but there is one snag in that...my whole family suffers too. Matt made the comment the other day at the dinner table, "well, if momma decides to go on a diet, I guess we all have to." It got me to thinking--#1: I guess it's not fair to make the whole family eat like a rabbit just because I am and #2: If its true that they eat healthy when I do because thats what I'm cooking/choosing---doesn't that also mean that all the times that we eat unhealthy--it's is because it's what I CHOSE!?! Eeeek! That means that for the most part--the health of my entire family is in MY HANDS! Whatever I cook is what they eat. When I cook healthy, the grumble and complain--but they eat it. When I cook junk, they're happy--but they eat it. So, doing the math here--I'm figuring out that if I can just deal with the whining, I could get my whole family to eat healthy almost all the time! Huh! What a thought! I have a little clip out of a magazine taped to my fridge. It's been there for about 9 years now because I cut it out when Brooklyn was just an infant. It says, "Everytime you feed them, you're teaching them how to eat." Man, I love that. Sooooooo True!!! Just look at all the mother/child teams on Biggest Loser and how awful those mom's feel now that their children (due to the way they were raised) are 400-526 pounds!! Sad. It's in your hands mom and dad! Love is not giving them what they want...love is giving them what they NEED!

The workouts: OH MY STINKING GOSH!! What in the WORLD was I thinking trying to do THAT much in ONE day? I did it because I posted on here that I was going to (and on FB)...but I seriously doubt I will try to do that much again. Not only did it take up a good 2 1/2 hours of my day...but...I feel like I've been run over by a semi. Everything hurts. I seriously wish I had worn my HRM and done a calorie count so I could've seen how many I burned. It had to be up near the 1,000 mark.
Thankfully, hopefully, the workouts will counterbalance the dessert and all will be well and back on track.
So, how are you doing? Still hangin' in there? You're not losing your momentum are you? I heard a thing on the radio the other day that said like 50% of people only stick with their New Years Resolutions 1-2 weeks, 40% stick with it for a month or two and only 10% actually achieve what they set out to accomplish!
Well guess what? YOU'RE ONE OF THE 10%!!! :o)
I love you guys! Thanks for reading my yacking--and for being on my team and for letting me coach you. It is such an honor and gives me such great joy!

3 comments:

KC said...

Well said!
I'm in the same boat with the healthy eating. My "boys" (all three of them) don't like eating lots of salad or fish because they are STARVING within an hour. So I cook myself enough healthy foods to last me a few days. Then I cook for them each day, and eat my pre-cooked foods. Or I make healthier options like turkey taco meat, or venison fajitas, and I give them the tortillas and I make myself a taco salad with salsa as the dressing. I'm finding lots of ways to incorporate my needs in with theirs, without cooking two seperate meals every night. It helps that my boys LOVE salad (it's just their daddy who's not nuts about it), and they LOVE grilled chicken. They do like to have their snack foods though. I just try to avoid the kitchen area when they are snacking on their cookies, and destract myself by blogging or checking facebook. It helps.

Don't get discouraged about the 1 lb gain. You'll see the scale going down by next week I'm sure.

Hang in there! And congratulations on a GREAT workout! That was A LOT! I'm tired just thinking about it. Wow!

Kate said...

don't get down on yourself Jen - you are a work in progress and just look how far you've come (is that enough cliches for ya? lol). Tony's getting down on himself b/c he's gaining just a few weeks after he started working out. I'm trying to tell him that he's putting in muscle and it just takes a while for the body to adjust from zero working out to going full force every other day.

Dan said...

Awesome blog and to see Jesus working through you too....Incredible! I am starting P90x hopefully on the 18th of January. I am going to continue to follow your blog....good luck and like I've read everywhere "Keep pressing PLAY!"

Your brother in Christ,

Dan (Wasilla, Ak)