Philippians 3:12-14 (The Message Bible)

I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Insecurity can't have me

That old nuisance, insecurity, has been trying to get to me lately--especially where my physical body and fitness are concerned. I hear all these things in my head about not being good enough, not being a good example, not losing this last 15 pounds like I keep saying I'm going to, not reaching my goal at the 5K, not looking as good for my hubby anymore, etc., etc., etc.
BLAH!
It's so frustrating and overwhelming sometimes to try to balance it all. I could list out "it all" for you right here but I'm sure each of you already knows exactly what I'm talking about. Some days I just realize that I can't have "it all" and do "it all" and that we are just gonna have to live with less than perfection. If I have a hot meal on the table at dinner time and we all sit down and eat it then I am NOT going to beat myself up over the fact that it is a little bit too heavy on the carbs and that we don't have vegetables of every color on our plate. If one day, I have to make a meal of hot-dogs, Kraft mac-n-cheese, Kool-Aid and potato chips, no one is going to fall over dead at the table from such a horrendously unhealthy meal. Sure, we don't wanna do it everyday, but once every 6 months because we either ran out of good food or out of time is not going to kill us.
Furthermore, if I miss a workout one day or even one WEEK, I'm fairly certain that I will continue to live and I probably won't be a pound heavier for it either!

Don't take me wrong, I'm not giving myself or any of you permission to throw in the towel and quit...but I am saying that sometimes we just gotta CUT OURSELVES SOME SLACK!!
Balance is the KEY and imbalance is never a good thing.

Yesterday I had a battle within about why I'm teaching boot camp at the gym and how most of the girls in that class are probably more fit than I am and they probably all wish Shelley was still teaching that class instead of me and blah, blah, blah. What a blessing it was to be reminded that no one expects me to be perfect and that possibly, my imperfection is what makes people like me!!! (no way!??!) :o) Also, I have to remind myself that I am doing this because I think it is what GOD wants me to be doing...not that I myself have chosen it. I'm pretty certain (100%) that He'll equip me for the job He has called me to do, dontcha think!? :o)

Anyway, I just wanted to encourage you that it's never too late. Doesn't matter if you missed a day, a week, a month or the last 10 years...today can be the day you start again fresh. And..even if you start today and do well until dinner and then blow it completely....you get to wake up tomorrow and start again...so no worries! Practice makes perfect improvement! :o)

Love you guys! And for the record...I am just finishing up my Recovery Week (week 5) of Insanity and about to move into the last 4 weeks of MAX training! Eeeek!!!

By the way, I just have to say, that I am FULLY aware that the name "insecurity" is just one of the many cover-ups the devil uses for his lies! Guess what devil? I am healthy, strong, fit, beautiful and a child of GOD!

5 comments:

KC said...

Great Post Jen!!! I needed that today.

Anonymous said...

Love this post. You are so right. I firmly believe that we need to have those "down" days. When we don't eat the best, or we skip a workout. Personally, if I didn't have those occasional days, I would go so long trying to be perfect all the time, that when I finally let go, that "let go" would last for months, or years, instead of a day or week. When you have a goal, it's okay to stop for a day, it's good for you. Just get back up the next day!! You have it RIGHT!!!! I miss kraft dinner! HAHA!!

Rene' said...

I understand, I complain a lot myself these days about weight/eating/working out/cleaning the house/family time...basically balance. Just know God loves you and you can rejoice in that. Or u can come over and we can eat cookies together---I'm so helpful aren't I? as u can tell I'm not on track 100% right now either, so my point is, don't beat yourself up. Nobody is perfect (yes this is my problem too and I have to tell MYSELF this constantly in order to maintain a healthy mind). You are not perfect, but neither are all the girls in the class u mistakenly think are in better shape than you (!!???!!). So don't fret. Yes, everyone loves SHelly, but they love YOU too!

by the way... I haven't cooked mac and cheese with butter in years. It tastes the same and cuts out tons of calories, give it a try and maybe u won't feel so bad when u make it. The milk (or water) makes it creamy enough that u don't notice the butter is missing.

Alissa said...

Love this post! I totally agree. I am so incredibly busy with moving right now and graduating that I have worked out very little. I know I feel gross and a workout would help but there's very little time! I'm going today though. :) In the end, life will be back to normal soon and I can be back to my fit, fabulous self! I completely agree that putting too much pressure on yourself is BAD. It just derails you and makes things worse!

Steph & Jules P90X Challenge said...

Hello! My sister and I recently started P90X and in attempt to find out more info we found blogs of people doing the program as well. Anyways, I was just wanting to thank you!!! You're blog has been encouraging. I feel like we CAN make it. Your post help me believe that more. Thanks again!!