Philippians 3:12-14 (The Message Bible)

I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back.

Monday, March 15, 2010

Ignorance is not bliss--it's just plain IGNORANT!

Girls! Guys!
Listen to me....
Take a few minutes and pull up the nutritional information of your favorite resturants and look at what you're eating when you go out for dinner!
I just did this for one of my favorite places, Zio's (Italian). Everytime I go there I order the same thing. It is one of my favorite foods EVER (not just at that place-but anywhere and my mouth waters just thinking about it.)
Until today...
Get this: In a plate of their Italian Nachos, there are 1580 calories, 93 grams of total fat, 30 grams of saturated fat, 3470 mg of sodium, 119 grams of carbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People, when I go there, I was eating this whole thing by myself along with a loaf of bread dipped in olive oil & spices!

GOOD GRIEF! No wonder I can't seem to lose these last pounds!!!!

And you may be thinking, "well duh Jen....that just sounds like it would be bad--nachos!" Well, let me show you something else:
The Salmon Caesar Salad isn't much better! It has 1270 calories, 49 grams of fat, 2960 mg sodium and 40 carbs!

I'm telling you this because I consider myself a smart eater. I would NEVER in a MILLION YEARS eat something like this at home! But for some reason when we go out to eat, it's like I throw caution to the wind and just "enjoy myself" for a change. And maybe if it were once a year, that'd be okay...but I go to this place about once every 2 weeks!!! And it's not just this place, I promise you, if you you'll pull up the nutritional info of some of your favorite places, you'll start thinking twice about ordering whatever sounds good. Believe me, all your hard work is NOT WORTH that one plate of food. It is JUST NOT!

7 comments:

Rene' said...

its insane isn't it? I actually have a tiny notebook I keep in my purse that has the calorie counts of the best choices at the restaurants I eat at the most, so in case I forget, I can whip it out and choose the lowest calorie one instead of being swayed by how it sounds on the menu.

The Awesometeer said...

I am about to start the program and diet next week and saw your blog. Seems like a lot of good information here. I will be checking it out for more tips.

http://myp90xcrusade.blogspot.com/

Pining for Pinterest said...

It is an eye opener when you see the nutritional value!!

KC said...

I have an application on my phone that gives you nutrition information at different resturants. It's very helpful in making a healthier food choice.
*BTW, anytime you see the word "ceasar" stear clear. That dressing is loaded with fat and calories. NEVER order a ceasar salad, anywhere. Opt for a plain garden salad with grilled chicken and the "light" dressing "on the side".

Anonymous said...

OH MY ... I just looked up one of my favorite menu items to find out it has saturated and trans fat in it. AND IT'S A CHICKEN BREAST DISH. HA! I thought I WAS making a good choice.

Matty O said...

My wife and I very rarely eat out and when we do, we research what we are "allowed" to eat before we go haha. Once a week we give ourselves an "American" day where we still eat proper portions, just crappier food haha. Awareness is half of the battle when trying to live a healthy lifestyle isn't it?!

Kate said...

girl, have you seen the documentary Food, Inc.? If not, you must. It will turn your stomach what is in the so-called "healthy" food that's in our stores and restaurants. Check it out!