Philippians 3:12-14 (The Message Bible)

I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Too Much of a Good Thing...?

My good friend, Kate, mentioned the other day that she's trying to get to the healthiest version of herself and she's doing it NOW. To do that, she did a "makeover" of her kitchen and got rid of any "bad list" foods...of which she didn't have much to toss. Yay! So...why is she not dropping the unwanted last few pounds? Her answer...I eat too much...even if it is all good stuff.

Hmm....that got me to thinking...could it be that we can actually over eat and not be able to lose weight when ALL we eat is fresh produce, lean protein, good carbs and the right types of fiber, fat, etc. ???
I think she's onto something here...something I am probably struggling with myself. Compared to most Americans, I eat an extremely healthy diet. However, I have this subconscious desire to feel "full" before I leave the table. Even though one of my favorite motto's is "Eat before you're hungry and quit before you're full"...I'm often a hypocrite and don't even heed my own very wise advise. :(
There's just something about eating 4 helpings of steamed veggies that doesn't give me near the guilt that eating 4 helpings of french fries would. And rightly so. Still...veggies or fries...they both contain calories. And we all know, too many calories equal weight gain.

Now coming from a girl who used to try desperately to stay "skinny" by eating Twizzlers and a diet Coke for lunch...I can't say enough about how important I think WHERE your calories come from makes a HUGE difference in your health...because believe me..the calories from the veggies are INSANELY different than the ones from the fries....but still...too many is too many. And too many = no weight loss.

Well...that's something to chew on! I'm in the process of cutting back on some other "good things" in my life right now (like Beachbody coaching and Facebook to name a couple)...why not cut back a bit on the (good) foods that I'm eating, leave the table a little less-than full, and see if those pesky 10 pounds find their way OFF my body! :)

Now...if only I'll actually do it....ugh.

2 comments:

KC said...

You CAN do it Jen. BTW: In order to make yourself feel that "full" feeling, down a couple of glasses of water with your meals (one before you eat, one while your eating, and then one after if you are still not "full"). It will fill up your tummy and you will get that really full feeling withOUT over-eating.

Also go read my latest blog post. The "my fitness pal" app on my phone has been a life-saver for not over-doing it on the calories. I LOVE this app. Stephen is even using it now too! :-D

Kate said...

yes, i love mfp too! T used it the whole time he was losing all that 80 lbs. I started using it to track the post-baby weight loss & am still using it now. Great tool!